Rabu, 23 Februari 2011

Pat Torpey Biography






Pat Torpey was born in Cleveland, Ohio Dec. 13, 1959. At age 7, he found the first seeds of inspiration to play drums.
" I was at a family and friends picnic and there was a polka band. I was sitting on a railing behind the drummer and was fascinated at what I saw and heard. I went home and fashioned my own 'signature' drum sticks out of a fallen tree branch from our front yard"
In high school he immersed himself in all the available music programs, concert, orchestra, marching and stage bands. " I wanted to play everything percussion and I convinced my mother to buy me a used drum-kit for my thirteenth birthday.
His family moved to Phoenix and Pat began honing his skills in local bands. Everything from Rock to Funk To Jazz to Pop helped him gain confidence and versatility. 
1983, he moved to Los Angeles. " I'm a pretty good softball player and joined an entertainment league and through that I was able to make some new friends and network my way into a couple of gigs. I became a regular on the American Bandstand and Solid Gold TV shows performing with Benny King, Mike and the Mechanics, Melissa Manchester, Bob Geldof, and a few I can't even remember."
1985, he auditioned for the British pop/rock singer John Parr, who was riding high on his #1 hit 'St. Elmos Fire' and had landed the opening slot for Tina Turner on her Private Dancer Tour. When that tour ended he became the drummer for Belinda Carlyle on her first solo tour opening for Robert Palmer.
"1987, I was doing a television show with Roger Daltrey and Bobby Columby from Blood, Sweat and Tears approached me and asked me if I was available to do some studio work. Columby was producing a couple tracks for The Knack and their original drummer had just left the band. I loved their music and what great fun for a drummer. They asked me to join the band."
Playing around Los Angeles with The Knack was the pathway to Mr.Big. Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert were starting a new band and were on the hunt for a drummer. They saw Pat playing with The Knack and were impressed with his energy and style. " I loved playing with The Knack but when Billy approached me I jumped at the chance."
Mr.Big secured a recording contract with Atlantic records but before the band started work on the first CD Pat was tapped to play drums with Robert Plant on his ' Now and Zen' tour. " Led Zeppelin was such a huge influence and the guys in Mr.Big knew what a fantastic opportunity it was and they gave me their blessing. "Communication Breakdown' every night, what a rush!!! "
1992, Mr.Big's international hit song "To Be With You" was no.1 in the U.S. and fifteen other countries and top five in many more.
For fourteen years Mr.Big toured the world, headlining as well as opening for Aerosmith, Rush, Brian Adams and The Scorpions to name a few, garnering a reputation for their world class musicianship and totally 'live' performances.
Pat Torpey also released a solo CD in 1998 titled "Odd Man Out" and then a follow up cd "Y2K" in 1999. Lately, Pat has been involved in a myriad of studio projects, live performances a clinics for Tama drums in Japan, Russia, China, Indonesia, Philippines and many other parts of the world.

0 komentar:

Template by : kendhin x-template.blogspot.com